Gene Vincent Lonely Street Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gene Vincent Lonely Street Forum

Gene Vincent Forum FAN CLUB

HomeHome  PortailPortail  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

demande de traduc // Ken Nelson & Capitol

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin Lee-Loo
Admin
Admin Lee-Loo

Female Nombre de messages : 6997
Emploi : Fondateur/presidente Lonely Street site/forum/fanClub

demande de traduc //  Ken Nelson & Capitol Empty
PostSubject: demande de traduc // Ken Nelson & Capitol   demande de traduc //  Ken Nelson & Capitol Icon_minitime05.11.07 19:50

Roy Wilder Recalls
The Demo Session for
Ken Nelson & Capitol

Yes, I was the lead guitar player on the original cut of "Be Bop a Lula" made at the recording studios at Radio Station WCMS in Norfolk, Virginia. I was working in the Northern Virginia, Washington DC area in the mid 50;s and was home for a visit with my family, I got a call from Bill "Tex" Davis stating that he needed a lead guitar player to cut a promo record with a young singer ... I remember I said WHO??
When I arrived at the studio I met Jack Neal (bass) Willie Williams (back up guitar) Darrell Whitehurst (steel guitar) Gene on Vocal and a young kid named Dickie Harrell on drums. Dickie played the drums far ahead of his time for his age and went on the enhance any recording he made. It was only after the session that I learned he was only 15 years old. Two sides were cut that day to send to Nashville for Capitol Records. "Be Bop a Lula" and for the life of me I can not remember the name of the other song.
When the promo cut arrived in Nashville it was not what they wanted. The original song cut in Norfolk was slower and had a country and western flavor. They wanted a more up beat Rock a Billy type song. As I had returned back to the DC area to already booked shows I was not able to make the Nashville trip. Bill Davis contacted my good friend Cliff Gallup to make the trip and the rest is history.
On a personal note I worked out of the Northern Virginia, Washington, DC area for a few years and played with and met some great people. One of the people I met was a young lady from Winchester, VA by the name of Virginia "Ginny" Cline who as you know was later named Patsy when she arrived in Nashville.
I then went on the road with a group named The Jokers and worked shows along the South East Coast for a few years. Like most of the guys on the road I gave it up in 1961. It was just too much traveling and away from my family too much. I went to work with Texaco USA and spent 32 years with them until my retirement in 1995.
In closing I would like to say that Cliff Gallup was one of my best friends and we did several TV shows in the Norfolk area together. We always did the dueling guitar thing on songs like The Guitar Boogie. I was very sadden to hear that Cliff had passed away. Cliff Gallup and a young man named Pete Wade were two of the greatest guitar players that came out of the Norfolk, Virginia area. Pete went on to work with Ray Price for many years.
Thanks Bob, for your interest in my part with Gene. All of this was a part of my life that is long behind me. I just recently renewed an old friendship with Dickie. I had lost track of him over the years. I was on your Web Site one night and found out that he still lived in Portsmouth, Virginia. We have since talked to each other and are going to renew an old friendship.
Thanks again,
Roy Wilder
[email]WilderRC@Yahoo.Com[/email]
Chesapeake, Virginia
B. 12/03/1934

et la reponse de Dickie

Gene's Demo was Myself, Guitar-Roy Wider--Steel Guitar a fellow named Whitehurst--Wee Willie Williams on Rhythm Guitar---Jack Neal- Bass Fiddle. I don't think he did record with that Group you send picture. On the DEMO-- No scream---and it was a lot slower and country sounding at that time. Say hello for me/ Thanks Man for your e-mail. Say hello to LEE-LOO for me.

Dickie

si qqun peut me traduire au mot car juste survoler un texte en anglais, moi ça me suffit pas

merci Jimmy si tu passes par la Very Happy

car je pourrais alors, le mettre en francais aussi sur le site francophone

c'est bien d'avancer ici, c bien aussi d'en faire profiter tout le monde

sunny .... merci
Back to top Go down

demande de traduc // Ken Nelson & Capitol
Page 1 of 1